slackercentral.com messageboard  

Go Back   slackercentral.com messageboard > Main boards > Off Topic

Old 07-11-09, 10:48 AM   #1
Babel-17
"Say what?"

ImageShack Hacked (I might have lost some images)

Quote:
"Last night a group calling themselves 'Anti-Sec' hacked ImageShack, one of the largest image hosting sites on the web, and replaced many of the site's hosted pictures with one of their own, which detailed their manifesto. The group's grievance is against full-disclosure of exploits, an issue that was debated recently after a presentation on an ATM exploit was canceled. Anti-Sec simply wants the practice within security circles to end, and they've promised to cause 'mayhem and destruction' if it doesn't. These people are taking direct aim against a sect of the IT industry who is already armed to fight them ... but they also already know that. It should be interesting to see how this plays out."
http://it.slashdot.org/story/09/07/1...ups-Threatened

I just checked and a few of my image links are dead/just redirect to image shack.

"As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: you liberate a city by destroying it. Words are to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests." –Gore Vidal

“No matter how imperfect things are, if you’ve got a free press, everything is correctable. Without it, everything is concealable.” -Tom Stoppard
Babel-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 12:01 PM   #2
Mole

I checked my images, they seem fine.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-09, 12:18 PM   #3
Babel-17
"Say what?"

I'm getting a lot of "404 - Not Found" messages along with a few "connection timed out" messages.

Ruh-roh, I now see the dreaded Anti-sec image/message loading.

That was a pic of Boomer.

"As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: you liberate a city by destroying it. Words are to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests." –Gore Vidal

“No matter how imperfect things are, if you’ve got a free press, everything is correctable. Without it, everything is concealable.” -Tom Stoppard
Old 07-11-09, 12:26 PM   #4
Babel-17
"Say what?"

Frackers took out a Milla image too, they've crossed a line here.

Oh wait, I have backups.

Old 07-11-09, 12:29 PM   #5
Mole

Yep, my images are fine... Good thing I only post images in the MROF.

*edit* I take that back, some of them are gone... Also, the URL has changed on the ones that don't work. And sure enough, there's one that has the message from anti-sec. The hacked images are old ones that were a few pages back, they didn't mess up any of my newer images for some reason... Oh well, better change my password.

LOL, good, those assholes didn't touch my dirty-sanchez gif...

Last edited by Mole; 07-11-09 at 12:35 PM..
Old 07-11-09, 12:40 PM   #6
Babel-17
"Say what?"

I don't think it was our individual accounts that were hacked, I think it was ImageShack itself that was. The hackers had their way with the servers.

Supposedly they didn't delete anything.

Edit: If the image I embedded changes back to one of Boomer then we'll know ImageShack is restoring things.

Old 07-11-09, 12:45 PM   #7
Mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babel-17 View Post
I don't think it was our individual accounts that were hacked, I think it was ImageShack itself that was. The hackers had their way with the servers.

Supposedly they didn't delete anything.
Check the URL's on the ones that are hacked/don't work... Usually there's an "img5" or "img3" or something like that in front of the URL's... I noticed some of them say "triton" or something else instead.

Old 07-11-09, 12:50 PM   #8
Babel-17
"Say what?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole View Post
Check the URL's on the ones that are hacked/don't work... Usually there's an "img5" or "img3" or something like that in front of the URL's... I noticed some of them say "triton" or something else instead.
I'll check but click on the properties for my hacked Boomer pic, it looks normal.

Edit: Wait, that "ex4" at the end is fishy.

Old 07-11-09, 12:52 PM   #9
Mole

Wow, they got hacked good then... That's what they get for skimping on security.

The bastards haven't even posted a message or anything on the front page to let people know they were hacked, and whether people should be concerned or not.

The last time they updated their blog/FAQ was Oct 2008!

I'm thinking I might can my Imageshack account and find one somewhere else.

Old 07-11-09, 12:57 PM   #10
Babel-17
"Say what?"

http://photobucket.com/

I like that you can set up a folder that you can link pic's from, but that people can't browse.

Old 07-11-09, 01:04 PM   #11
Mole

Quote:
http://photobucket.com/

I like that you can set up a folder that you can link pic's from, but that people can't browse.
Wow, I might sign up just because I saw this on the front page:

http://media.photobucket.com/video/B...tboxer.flv?q=3

Old 07-11-09, 02:14 PM   #12
Babel-17
"Say what?"

Quote:
I'm getting a lot of "404 - Not Found" messages along with a few "connection timed out" messages.

Ruh-roh, I now see the dreaded Anti-sec image/message loading.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5...oomer02ex4.jpg

That was a pic of Boomer.
Huh, that image is no longer found and the link causes a redirect. So maybe all my lost images had the hacker message. I think ImageShack is disabling the links. But can they restore the links to the original images?

I'm guessing that they aren't commenting until they get a handle on this.

Here's the link I originally embedded.

Old 07-11-09, 07:16 PM   #13
Mole

Check out this one I just found:

www.imagechicken.com

Keep in mind though, I think it's one of those "public" image hosting sites, so any images you upload can be seen by anyone, and there's no way to manage them. However, that kind of site seems like one that's not likely to be the target of hackers.

Also, ImageShack appears to be down at the moment, I guess they're fixing things.

Old 07-12-09, 01:43 PM   #14
Babel-17
"Say what?"

At least one image link is back. I think a few others are also back.

Still missing some.

Old 07-13-09, 08:08 PM   #15
Babel-17
"Say what?"

http://news.imageshack.us/blog/

Quote:
Your media is secure
July 12th, 2009

On July 10th, at approximately 7 pm PST, ImageShack’s services were compromised by a hacking group. Within a minute, our security systems had identified suspicious activity. We learned that the group had gained control of how images were being displayed. Before 9 pm PST, normal functionality had been restored to user images. No user data or content was damaged or lost.

Only a fraction of Imageshack’s servers were affected, so we were able to isolate and remove the issue very quickly. We are actively conducting a full audit of our security measures and hardening our systems. If you are experiencing difficulty with any of our services or would like to reach our team directly for any reason, please contact us anytime at ImageShack Support
support email

ImageShack has been hosting your media since 2003. Please be assured that the security of your images and videos is our top priority, and we are taking necessary steps to ensure your media is secure.

"Lost" can be a very flexible word.

Old 07-13-09, 08:14 PM   #16
Mole

Yep, my missing images are also gone.

Old 07-13-09, 08:19 PM   #17
opus512

You get what you don't pay for.

We're all Nero, and we're all playing cheap plastic Chinese fiddles.

When the Rebels become the Tyrants, Revolution takes on a New Meaning.

The only truth that I fear is the dominance of opinion over thought, of partisan ideology over compromise, of emotional self righteous morality over intellectual reasoning.

"We must always take heed that we buy no more from strangers than we sell them, for so should we impoverish ourselves and enrich them."
--- Sir. Thomas Smith, England, 1549.
opus512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-09, 01:49 AM   #18
Mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus512 View Post
You get what you don't pay for.
lol, when I started using ImageShack, it wasn't that big and there weren't many using it, most were using PhotoBucket and tinypic... Now it's one of the largest image hosting sites.

Old 07-15-09, 06:22 PM   #19
Babel-17
"Say what?"

For the record, the image/link of Boomer that is "lost" was hacked and did display the message from Anti-Sec.

I downloaded it and I think Mole might have caught a glimpse of it before ImageShack went to town on repairing the hacker damage.

to anyone visiting by way of Wikipedia.

Old 07-15-09, 06:53 PM   #20
Akira
Subscriber

ms4n
Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread Post Reply